Thursday 14 July 2011

Only Others Could Make Me Notice

So I jump in the car with my two very best friends, in the way to Sebastian’s home, which is one and a half hours from my own house, were we are just now. So we are really expecting to take a long trip, and maybe fall asleep in our way there. Mariana even brought with herself a little pillow, maybe just as a joke… maybe seriously. Sebastian’s mother is such a nice person she is kind, funny, and very gentle, her short, curly, brown hair gives her a very comprehensive look. She is very easy to talk to, and Sebastian really makes me and Mariana feel just like at our own houses... or cars.

I hadn’t known neither Sebastian nor Mariana up until last year they both came with me to a trip outside the country. In the trip we didn’t only meet, but we three became the best friends ever. Now back in Guatemala we all still talk and hang out even if our age’s difference is so big, and the time we spend together has shortened. By the way, Sebastian is eighteen, Mariana is fourteen, and I am fifth teen. Anyway we all make a really good group. Each one of us fills up what the other is missing. Maybe that is why we all get along so well.

Mariana always gets the topics up. She starts talking about how hard high school is, and soon we all are doing some kind of contest tying to tell who is the one that is really getting the worst luck this year. That remands me I have got to do a blog for Miss Kelsey’s class. God! Why do I always leave stuff for the very last hour? I was going to do it about my “personal ritual”, yet I am still not quite sure I do understand the whole concept. Well one or another way I won’t let such thing ruin my reencounter with this two, so I just try to ignore it and continue chatting with them.

As we are heading to Saint Lucas, Sebastian’s mother offers us to stop at Mc. Donald’s and get a treat. We all agree and as we get in the drive though we all decide and try to chose something small. Mariana and I ordered a chocolate topping ice cream, and Sebastian ordered french fries.

Well I am kind of… really getting dizzy so better look outside the window for a little, and try to clear my mind… Ah! Such a pretty day outside the sun is shining so bright on top of our heads and the clouds make the sky look so beautiful, so heavenly. Even if lately it has been dark and rainy it all seems to be smiling up to me today, should smile as well?
-“Sofia” I instantly turn my head. Sebastian’s voice whispered in my ears interrupting all my thoughts. The way he just said it, so joke-like, kind of broke apart all my concentration “what’s wrong?” he asks as soon as I turn around. “Nothing” I reply as I smile to him. Again, why? Why can I lie so easily? Or why do I always notice seconds after I opened my mouth? Well it’s too late for saying no now, but maybe someday soon he will ask this same question, and I will be able to answer him more honestly. After all I wander what made him think I had anything wrong in the very first place. I was not acting weird was I?

Well, I just notice I am not dizzy anymore, I should join the conversation maybe this is what Sebastian was trying to get me to do. As I notice Sebastian and Mariana are mixing their foods. Ice-cream and French fries? I have seen it a lot thought and as I look at it I just wonder why someone would ever mix this two flavors? Mariana and Sebastian offer me some, and even if I want to say NO, I can hear my mother’s voice in the very back of my ears saying all those rules, and manners she showed me since I was so young.

-“Thanks” I vigorously say as I pick up a french fry and dip it in Mariana’s ice-cream. I put it inside my mouth and let the two flavors bloom together. “You liked it didn’t ya?” says Mariana looking at me with her cat-like face curving a creepy smile in her lips. “Amm…” I wander what’s with that face; she just uses it to make people feel uncomfortable. “…I liked it” I say unsure of what her reaction may turn like. She lets out a single giggle and from then on acts as normally as always. I even wonder if she poisoned the food. What was that, just now? I don’t know either, but Mariana has her moments, as everyone I guess.

-“Sofia” insists Sebastian “aren’t you hungry?” just in this moment I notice I am the only one who has not touched her food. Most of the times I wait until the chocolate topping is harden before I start eating this particular kind of ice-cream. This time I waited too much but at least it is not dripping… thanks chocolate topping. It’s time to start eating this. As always I start by pulling up, and out the chocolate topping and let it resting on the napkin on my lap. And I eat the vanilla and afterwards the cone. At the very end I take the chocolate my very favorite part of all and eat it. As I let the flavor grow in my mouth I clean my lips with the napkin, when I notice there is absolute silence, apart from the car’s engine and the air in the windows.

I try to imagine why Mariana ever shut up… absolutely nothing comes to my mind would. I turn my head and notice both Sebastian and Mariana are looking oddly at me. Since they don’t say anything I ask “what?” Mariana giggles and Sebastian answers in a very joke-like voice he uses so much “that is a funny way to eat ice-cream” he said with a drawn smile on his face then I look to the ceiling of the car. Maybe is true it is an odd way of eating ice-cream, but I have never heard someone call it “funny”. I notice something in this little instant, I do have a personal ritual! I just solved one of my weekly problems, and it was as easy as eating ice-cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment